By: Shirley Snyder (282) and Miriam Rigg (282)
As fall comes to a close in the Philadelphia area, it often feels as though our time outside for the season is coming to an end. Winter in Philadelphia can be harsh, cold, and slushy, but with the elements comes a time of opportunity in our city. Philadelphia has an abundance of both paid and free activities in the final days of fall and through the holiday season. Our hope is to inspire you to get out there in the coming months and enjoy life in our vibrant and brotherly loving city!
- The Reading Terminal Market
- When you want to escape from the cold weather, pop into the Reading Terminal Market and try a wide variety of seasonal exclusive foods, such as holiday sweets, warm drinks, and fresh pastries. The Reading Terminal Market is a perfect place to gather with friends and enjoy different types of foods, while also being within walking distance from many other fun activities and places.
- Location: 1136 Arch St, Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Ice Skating in Dilworth Park
- Each year, Rothman Orthopedics sponsors the ice-skating rink at Dilworth Park. This is a fun activity to do with friends and family, and, like the Reading Terminal Market, it is within walking distance from many other activities! The pricing is $7 for adults and $5 for children under 10; however, you will need to pay extra if renting ice skates.
- Location: 1 S 15th St, Philadelphia, PA 19102
- Macy’s Santa Land and Dickens Village
- What would the holiday season be without Santa Claus? At the Macy’s located in Center City, starting November 26th, you can take a walk through a miniature town that tells the story of Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol and finish by meeting the one and only Santa Claus. This is a great activity for anyone, but especially those of you who have younger siblings, younger cousins, nieces and nephews, or children you babysit. This activity is free, memorable, exciting, a great photo opportunity, and fun!
- Location: 1300 Market St, Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Franklin Square Light Show
- Powdery snow sticking to trees is not the only beautiful thing to look forward to this winter- with the season comes beautiful lights and light shows. At the Franklin Square Park there will be an “Electrical Spectacle Light Show.” Last year, 150,000 lights decorated the park! You can enjoy the sights, take pictures, walk through the twinkling trees, and listen to holiday music. You can also choose to pay for a game of Philadelphia themed minigolf, and purchase hot drinks and snacks. Franklin Square is a beautiful sight, and a great place to relax during the season.
- Location: 200 N 6th St, Philadelphia, PA 19106
- Peddler’s Village
- Starting in November, Peddler’s Village has a long lineup of seasonal events. There will be shopping, gingerbread competitions, meet & greets with Santa and Mrs. Claus, and more. This is a great activity any day, but we recommend going on the weekend so you can experience everything the village has to offer!
- Location: 100 Peddlers Village, Lahaska, PA 18931
Hopefully these activities have made you excited for the coming season! Make sure to stay safe, enjoy the changing weather and all that our home has to offer!